i bought kale at the grocery store the other day.
have never had it before, but have read many things about how healthy and good it is for you. so I stared at the kale for a brief second in the produce section during my last grocery store run before throwing some in my cart to go home with. wasn’t sure exactly what I was going to do with it or use it for…
until last night, when the urge for white pizza hit. and I decided to substitute the spinach with kale. here today, sharing the recipe with you all!
- 1 store-bought pizza crust (12″ in diameter)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan & romano cheese
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup kale (white ribs removed and finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tomato (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 lb. chicken (shredded, about 1 1/2 chicken breasts)
- Crumbled Goat Cheese with Basil
- preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan & romano cheese together in a bowl.
- spread cheese mixture evenly over pizza crust.
- evenly layer thinly sliced onions on top of the cheese mixture.
- evenly layer on finely chopped kale over onions.
- sprinkle with red pepper flakes, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder.
- arrange thinly sliced tomato over pizza.
- evenly layer the shredded chicken over the tomatoes and top with crumbled goat cheese.
- place on baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
remove from oven, cutting into desired amount of slices (I did 8), and enjoy! :)
everybody here enjoyed it… even little miss NK. hubby took two left-over slices in his lunch today, while LW and NK just split the remaining slice for lunch. The kale was a delicious substitute for the spinach (not that spinach is really any less healthy, but it’s always fun to try something different every now and again).
to keep prep time to a minimum, i cooked a few extra chicken breasts to keep on hand in the fridge for the rest of this week’s dinners and used my standing electric mixer to do the work of shredding the chicken for me.
stay tuned… coming tomorrow, my spin on buffalo chicken pizza pending taste-testing and approval this evening! ;)